- Medical - Ruth Berggren, MD and Alex Papanastassiou, MD
- Musical - Craig Sorgi, San Antonio Symphony Violinist
Patient Notes is an interactive, inter-professional course that engages students in music listening sessions to teach students active listening skills. Through various forms of music, students will learn how to actively listen for specific details to gain insight on meaning, become comfortable with ambiguity and interpretation, and develop pattern recognition skills to quickly recognize deviation. Taught jointly by UT Health San Antonio faculty and professional musicians from the community, this strategy of applying specific listening skills for music will be analogous to how students can apply listening skills clinically. Specifically, this course aims to improve interview and history-taking skills, physical exam skills that involve auscultation, and note-writing skills. This is also an opportunity for students to practice problem solving with other healthcare professionals.
- Improve listening skills.
- Improve pattern recognition skills.
- Gain comfort wtih ambiguity.
- Improve physical exam skills.
- Develop interpersonal communication skills.
- Practice inter-professional problem solving.
- In person class sessions
- Pre- and Post-Course Assessments
- Outside Venue assignment
- Creative Sound Performance