This is a longitudinal 4th year elective to support and nourish the inherent altruism of our students. This elective will bring together like-minded students and faculty who have a passion for caring for the medically underserved in their communities. The students will take a leadership role in managing and directing the student-run clinics under faculty supervision. Clinical experiences will be at these clinics and on trips with Frontera de Salud or the Christian Medical Dental Society to the colonias of South Texas.
The elective will include monthly seminars in which students and faculty meet to discuss their experiences and projects in the clinics.
- Provide medical service and compassionate care to vulnerable populations
- Describe the responsibilities of running a clinic for the underserved
- Discuss the value of community service in the life of a physician
- Use reflection to deepen their understanding of the value of caring for others
- Discuss the limitations of the current health care system
- Advocate for improvements in our health care system
- 48 hours of clinical time at hte Student-Run Free Clinics
- Monthly class sessions
- Student Projects